The History of the Anjuman-e-Mufid-e-Ahl-e-Islam

In all humility we bow in gratitude to the Almighty and bountiful Allah, the lord of the Universe and the Hereafter, who has ordained that we, the Anjuman-E-Mufid-E-Ahl-E-Islam should serve the community and the  country with distinction.    Our Anjuman is one hundred year old. Hundred years cannot be described either as an advanced or as an advanced or as an old age in the life of institutions.    

During this period of its existence the Anjuman has rendered yeoman services to the nation. These services are here under narrated. Under the circumstances we are with legitimate amount of pride, celebrating the centenary of our Anjuman in a grand but unostentatious manner.

Col.T.O. Underwood, who became the paymaster of the carnatic stipends in the year 1884, not only looked after the interests of the carnatic stipendiary’s but also took upon himself the greater task of serving the Muslim community in general. It was  a result of his initiative and perseverance that the Anjuman-E-Mufid-Ahl-E-Islam or the society for the benefit of the Musalmans came into existence on 13th of September 1885.

Her Highness Nawab Khairunissa, His Highness the Prince of  Arcot and several other Muslims like Haji Abdul Shukoor Basha Sahib and Mahmood Khan Saheb envinced keen interest in the affairs of the Anjuman by contributing their mite not only in cash but also in kind. None can afford to forget the contributions made by stalwarts like late Mir Feroze Hussain Khan Sahib, late Humayun Jah Bahadur, Late Abdur Rahman, Hajee Allah Bakha Sajan Sait and K. B. Waljee Laljee Sait Sahib, Several Europeans and Hindus gave handsome donations to the Anjuman.

The objects of the Anjuman at its inception were to impart literary, technical and industrial education to Muslim youths. One of the aims of the Anjuman was to see that our community gets rid of certain social customs which were eating into the vitals of the community. The Anjuman also ran Goschen Hostel for the benefit of the boys from outside the city. However later on the Hostel was closed and this space is being utilized for accommodating the classes of the several courses.

Immediately after its formation the Anjuman set up Carpenter’s, Turner’s, Blackdmiths, Gilder’s, Embroiderer’s and Tailor’s, workshops in a rented building in Triplicane. Holy Quran was also taught and lessons were also given in Urdu and arithmetic.

There was a time when the Anjuman was seriously considering a proposal to run a Muslim High School. However this idea was not translated into practice as the government has already started the High School which was named as Madrasa-I-Azam. However at this juncture it will be not out of place to point out the hard fact and reality that as a result of the several resolutions passed by the Anjuman from time to time, the Madras-I-Azam became a name to be conjured with and a school to be reckoned  with.

The Government of the day gave full encouragement to the Anjuman; It is also gave a grant to it. The Anjuman looked after the interests of the poorest section of Muslim  boys for whom Industrial and technical education was most suitable. The Anjuman also realized that the poor boys could not learn much on empty stomachs. Therefore it also started the scheme of providing free breakfast and noon meals to these deserving boys.

The founders and the members of the Anjuman had resolved to make the Anjuman the centre of their activities for regeneration of the Muslims of southern India. Sir M.E. Grant Duff and Lady Grant Duff evinced keen interest in the Anjuman which was aptly described by them as ‘a large and influential Association of Mohamedan gentlemen”.

The workshops in guilding, rattan work and smith work were closed as a result of lack of interest evidenced by the students in these traders.

We had a long and distinguished array of patrons of our Anjuman. They include H.E. Sir M. K. Grant Duff, H. E. Lord Connemara,  H.E. Lady Grant Duff, H.E. Lady Recy of Bombay H.H. The prince of Arcot, H. H. The Nizam of Hyderabad, H.H. The Agha Khan, H.E. The Maharaja of Travancore, H.H. The maharaja of Mysore, H.H The Prince of Viziyangaram, H. E. Lady Wellington, H. E. Sir Archibald Nye, Arthur Hope, Lord Erskine, Sir A . J John, Sri Bishnuram Mehdi, Sri Sri Prakasa and H. H. The Maharaja of Bavangar.

The Anjuman  opened a shop on Mount Road, which is an arterial road of Madras, for selling  carpets and Furniture manufactured by it. Some of handsomest dresses worn by ladies at balls and parties in 1887 and 1888 were embroidered at the Anjuman at very reasonable and cheap prices. In days gone by Anjuman carpets and embroidery had been sent to England, America where they found a ready market. Indeed the fame of the institution had travelled to Europe also.

Honble R. T. Lawley who was the second president of the Anjuman started a building fund. Ultimately as a result of his successor, Mr. Justice Boddam, the Anjuman succeeded in securing a site for itself by purchasing old premises No.2/190, Mount Road and the same was occupied by it on 1st November, 1901. The Anjuman also received a building grant of Rs 12,000/- from the Government in two installments.

On 26th April 1901 the Anjuman was registered under Act III of 1860.

On 31st March 1914 Lord and Lady Pentland and declared open the Lawley Hall which was named after Hon’ble R. T. Lawlay as token of appreciation of the remarkable spade work done by the second president of the Anjuman.

Light metal casting and fitting section was started in July 1957. The Anjuman started Tailoring, Secretorial course and condensed SSLC course for failed students for the benefit of the socio economically backward  women girls of all communities. Fitter, Electrician and Radio Engineering and Draughtsman (civil) courses were also started by the Anjuman. We also started Wireman course in Refrigeration and Air-conditioning . We are at present enrolling g students from all communities. Our staff and teachers also hail from different communities. The work of reconstructing our building in Narasingapuram street was successfully completed in1972.        

A hall in our building facing Wallers Road had been named after Late Dr. Sir. Mohammed Usman who was one of our most outstanding and distinguished presidents and who acted as the Governor of Madras.

We are yet to achieve many objectives we are aiming at. We desire to open a few other vocational courses. Lack of space daunts us from proceeding ahead. However we are not going to be deterred by such impediments. We want to go ahead with our future programmes. We are planning to construct and reconstruct to the extent feasible so that we could get enough space to carry on with our ambitious future programmes. We invoke the help of Almighty in all our endeavours.

During the past several years many dignitaries visited our Anjuman and they were impressed by the work done by us. They were all praise about the activities of the Anjuman and the manner in which the training was being imparted to the trainees in the different courses. The names of a few of the dignitaries is mentioned hereunder:

  1. H. H. the Late Nawab Mahbub Ali Khan Bahadur the Nizam of Hyderabad on 5-3-1886
  2. H. H. the Maharaja Sir Rama RajaBahadur Shamsheer, Maharaja of Travancore in 1888.
  3. H. H. the late Maharaja of Mysore on 6-2-1889.
  4. Lady and Lord Campbell on 6-2-1912.
  5. H. E. Lord pentland on 6-2-1912.
  6. Raja of Cannanore on 29-1-1913.
  7. H. H. The Age Khan on 14-3-1923.
  8. Sardar Syedna tahir Saifuddin in 1941.
  9. Her Excellency Countees Mountbatten accompanied by Lady Nye on 28-1-1948.
  10. Sir .C. P. Rajagopalacharry, Chief minister of Madras in1952.
  11. Hon’ble Sri. M.Bhaktavatsalam, the then Chief Minister Govt.of Madras in 1962.
  12. Hon’ble Mr. Venketraman, Industries Minister, Madras.
  13. H. E. Shaikh Yousuf Alfozen, Ambassador of Saudi Arabia on 17-04-1959
  14. Col. Zaidi, vice Chancellor Aligarh Muslim University on 28-10-1959.
  15. Janab Mohammed Aref Al Kayalee sahib, Minister in Iraq Embassy on 1-5-1979.
  16. H. E. Dr. Mohammed Yousuff, Ambassador of Libya in 1980.
  17. H. E. Janab Abdul Sattar Sahib the Ambassador of Pakistan on 6-4-1980.
  18. Janab T.T.P. Abdullah Sahib, I.P.S. (Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia) in 1980.

 

It is our sincere wish and prayer that Allah may give to our Anjuman and all its membersenough strength and courage to strive and achieve greater success in all the endeavours where by we could serve our nation and community even better...